Sortation conveyors add precision and speed.
Norpak Handling Ltd. supplies an unmatched variety of material-handling solutions, including sortation conveyors. Sorting is a major function in many manufacturing plants and warehouses, particularly in large-scale production. It used to be a manual process that was extremely labour-intensive, with employees picking out items individually and distributing them into different conveyor lines. But today, conveyor accessories and software enable automated sorting – with higher precision and speed in the overall process.
Product type, speed, floor space
There are many different considerations that a business should bear in mind when selecting one of these systems for a facility, since sortation conveyors are designed for varying scenarios. The Norpak team cites such important factors as the required speed, floor space, and the type of product being handled – including its weight, packaging type, and size.
Among the most popular sortation conveyors available from Norpak:
- Belted pivot-wheel sorter. Two sets of pivot wheels divert items, for efficient and productive sorting. Recommended for medium-sized packages.
- Cross-belt sorter. This device has a chain of carts mounted on the main track, known as a carrier; the carts serve as small, bidirectional conveyor belts. Can process a high amount of operations per minute and provide a high density of divert locations.
- Narrow belt sorter. With multiple narrow belts separated by pop-up rollers, this conveyor has a compact construction that is ideal for workplaces with limited floor space.
- Pusher sorter. A pushing arm diverts products onto another conveying line, usually positioned perpendicularly to the main line. Also recommended for limited floor space.
- Sliding shoe sorter. Most appropriate for high-speed sorting, this unit has gentle sortation that is perfect for smaller and fragile items. Built with aluminum slats, with sliding shoes to divert products.
- Sweep sorter. Similar to the pusher sorter, but with bidirectional paddles. The sweeping mechanism makes it most appropriate for handling standard poly bags and other small items.
- Till tray sorter. Like the cross-belt sorter, this conveyor has individual parts that facilitate high-density and high-speed sortation. Lined with trays that dispense items into a chute.
To learn more, contact Norpak.