Machining talents help Ohio Broach create different kinds of shapesSeptember 11, 2020 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
The Ohio Broach & Machine Company employs a skilled team of machinists and designers who provide an unsurpassed variety of broaching services. These talented engineers and craftspeople can cut metal into many regular and irregular shapes in order to create hexes, squares, T shaped slots, teeth, serrations, and other forms.
From medical implants and cutting teeth to hand tools, Ohio Broach can handle virtually any project a customer may propose.
Broaching on the fly
To make different shapes, the Ohio Broach team uses its skills on the company’s own in-house-built machines. Staff satisfy customers with a range of shapes created on this state-of-the-art equipment. Among the examples from which clients can choose:
- Hexes and squares. To make hexes and squares in only one pass. Ohio Broach follows a method called “broaching on the fly”. This technique involves indexing parts that require these forms with the help of a gap between the tools. Workers can cut multiple surfaces in this way, in just one cycle.
- Irregular shapes. The Ohio Broach team can broach a wide range of slots, angles, keyways, and radii on almost any material, including different types of steel. The workers can achieve this in the secondary and final operations on parts, in one or two passes.
- T shaped slots. Ohio Broach’s machinists can create special slots in one or two passes, including the distinct T shape. In the two-pass method, the first cycle forms the slot, and the next one generates the top of the T shape. Virtually any sort of metal part can be broached into T shaped slots, including brass, copper, and steel parts.
- Teeth and serrations. These are also possible through the capabilities of Ohio Broach. Personnel can form gear teeth on the round rack of a tractor’s power-steering unit, for instance, in addition to intricate serrations on the motor mount of a large tank. Another frequent project the team takes on is small telephone dialing mechanisms, which can be surface-broached in this way.
- Miscellaneous. Polygons, involute splines, and plier forms are other shape examples.
For more information, contact Ohio Broach.